Workspace Group PLC with ICO registration number Z6141866 and its wholly owned subsidiary companies (together “Workspace”, “we”, “us” or “our”) are registered as data controllers with the UK Information Commissioner’s Office.
See here for details of “Which Workspace Group companies are Data Controllers?”
Your privacy is important to us and we are committed to safeguarding your information and being transparent about how we use your information to improve our services for the benefit of all our customers and website users.
Why does Workspace require personal information from prospective customers?
We require personal information when prospective customers make an initial enquiry about our properties and Services. Your personal information enables us to respond to your enquiry and to create a ‘My Workspace Account’ for you.
If you make an enquiry by completing our Enquiry Form on our website, a ‘My Workspace Account’ is automatically created in the background using the name and email address you submit with our Enquiry Form. If you subsequently become our customer and use the same email address, when you go to create your ‘My Workspace Account’ you will be advised that an account with that email address already exists and will be prompted to create a password for the account and complete your details and marketing preferences.
- We require personal information from prospective customers to be able to negotiate and draft the lease and to provide information on our property and Services.
- The lease is legal proof of the contract and sets out the tenancy details and both parties’ rights and obligations.
- Our lettings process requires us to confirm your identity by asking you to provide a recent utility bill or bank statement and driver’s licence or passport.
- Additionally, we seek further confirmation of your identity and carry out relevant legal checks through a third-party service provider, to meet our legal obligations such as verifying your identity documents or you right to work and/or do business in the UK. We do not retain any of this information, which is held on the third-party service provider system. The third-party service provider obtains the necessary data, which may include data from sources outside of the EEA, although no personal data is transferred from the third-party service provider to outside of the EEA.
What type of personal information does Workspace collect?
We collect personal data directly from you which includes your name, email, home address and landline or mobile numbers and the type of property or unit you are interested in. See “What information does Workspace collect about me?” for full details.
Will Workspace use the personal information it collects to market to me?
We may use your contact details to send you marketing and promotional materials where we are permitted by law to do so. Generally, we will send marketing to prospective customers and past and present users of our Services on the basis that this is in our legitimate interest in connection with running our business and does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests. Where we deem that legitimate interest cannot be used as a ground to send marketing to you, we will ask for your consent before sending any marketing. You may ask us to stop using your contact details for marketing communications at any time.
See “Privacy Notice for Direct Marketing of Workspace Services” for full details.
How will Workspace share my information?
- During negotiations and drafting of the lease, we may share your details with our solicitors and agents such as surveyors.
- We work with our third-party telephony and broadband provider and we will share your name and landline or mobile numbers and email address no less than 24 hours after you receive the formal offer letter The time lag is to give you time to object to us sharing your details with the telephony provider. However, you may not be able to fully utilise our Services without contracting with our tied provider as you will not have broadband or telephony services in most of our locations.
- We also may need to share personal data with your agents or solicitors during the lease negotiation process as part of the steps necessary to enter into a contract with you.
- Additionally, we will share your personal details, when required by law, with HMRC for tax investigation purposes, local Trading Standards, and the police for criminal or terrorist investigations.
See “Will Workspace share my personal information with anyone else?” for more details.
Will my personal information be sent outside the European Economic Area?
If you take out a tenancy in The Salisbury, our property location in Finsbury Circus, your personal data will be transferred to Jersey which has a current Adequacy Finding (which means it has been judged to have appropriate safeguards for your personal data) with the European Commission. The data transfer to Jersey is a legacy issue and relates to our original acquisition of the property and we are looking to change this arrangement in due course.
For how long will Workspace hold my personal information?
In general, records relating to the tenancy will be retained for six years from termination of the lease and vacation of the tenancy or twelve years for leases entered as a Deed in line with our internal Records Retention Policy.
The records we create relating to the negotiations and drafting of the lease are currently held with restricted access for up to the same period as the headline lease in line with our internal Records Retention Policy.
Your privacy rights and how to contact us
We are committed to protecting the confidentiality of your personal information and to complying with all data protection laws. Whether you supply your personal information online, by email or in a letter, by phone or text, we will never use or share it without a lawful reason to do so. We will never sell your personal information.